Friday, December 4, 2009

A Simple Scarf

It's been a while since I've used the old knitting needles. I picked up this yarn at a moving sale of one of my favourite local yarn stores a few months ago. Sadly, the store will now be a 30 minute drive away from my house, instead of less than 5 minutes. That's probably better for my bank account in the long run, and far better than the store going out of business completely.

I've been lured in by this Ornaghi filati before, mostly because I really like the shimmery thread that runs through it. Providing you use a large enough hook or pair of knitting needles this stuff is quite easy to work with and the shimmery part doesn't split or snag.

I only managed to get about 150 grams of this so there certainly wasn't enough for a major project. Instead, I just went with an old standby a simple scarf knitted in a knit 2, pearl 2 pattern. I must confess, I had to pull out the trusty Stitch 'N Bitch to remind myself how to cast on and how to make the pearl stitches. When I was about halfway through the scarf and my needle slipped out of about ten stitches I once again remembered why I prefer crocheting to knitting! Still, I'm happy with the end result and, even though I don't wear scarves that often, I think I'll be keeping this one for myself.

A final picture where you can see the yarn and the knitting up close.

No comments: